jodi's weblog

jodi's weblog



basil harvest


Basil from the backyard, washed and waiting and dreaming of becoming vegan pesto.

These two plants produced six cups (!) of pesto for the freezer, and that’s only half of the basil we have growing in the backyard. Next up: basil jam.

Posted by Jodi Green on September 18, 2014 at 11.07am

the porchening: part two

On Saturday the lovely workers came back and poured the foundation for our porch.

porch foundation poured

They left their Timmies cup behind, because this is Canada and there are quotas for how much Tim Hortons litter there needs to be in a given area and we didn’t have any on our property AT ALL and were in danger of the CRTC coming down on us or something, plus Peter assures me that having a Tims cup sealed up inside the porch will be good luck.

porch foundation, tim hortons litter

A squirrel promptly fell in, because that is what squirrels do.

porch foundation, squirrel tracks

On Monday a truck came by early in the morning and dropped off several skids of cinderblocks, some bags of cement, and some plywood. And that stuff sat there taunting me for two days while the evenings warmed up again to a temperature in which it would have been comfortable to eat our supper on the porch, as is our custom. If we had a porch.

And on Wednesday they came back and built this box!

porch box

My only regret is that we didn’t do this project closer to Hallowe’en so I could hide inside this box and scream FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MONTRESOR at the kids. Of course Peter said only maybe two parents would get the joke. I said, hey we can hand out WINE GUMS! And Peter said, Amontillado isn’t wine.


But hey, did you see? This proto-porch has proto-steps coming out the front, where steps are supposed to be! And see there on the side, where it is a stupid place to put steps? Nothing but a wall. This is going to be a proper porch, you guys. At least until we cover the whole thing with a rad mosaic, thus fulfilling my lifelong dream to live in Watts Towers.

porch box

Posted by Jodi Green on September 18, 2014 at 12.00am


windsor detroit tunnel

Windsor-Detroit Tunnel. Upside-down 8.

Posted by Jodi Green on September 16, 2014 at 1.12pm

garlic harvest


Posted by Jodi Green on September 15, 2014 at 9.31pm

the porchening, part one

Here is the ugly-ass porch that we have been grudgingly living with since we bought this house in 2003.

old porch, about to be demolished

It is not to our taste at all. It’s dark, heavy, and shut off from the street life. We eat all of our suppers on the porch in warm weather, and feel like trolls hiding in a cave up here with the wall of ugly vinyl siding. The stairs are on the end instead of in front, which means that only one side of the porch has room for sitting. What you can’t see is that the wooden pillars that sit on top of the concrete pillars have all slipped out of place and look like they may come crashing down.

And the wood floorboards, original to the 1911 house, look like this in places:

old porch, the treacherous area

There’s a fallen board tipped at an angle below these holes, and in the last year or so the cats have taken to popping in and out of the holes, for fun or because they are idiots or whenever they get spooked by the bus going by. Admittedly it’s pretty funny when you’re sitting there and a cat pops up at your feet, like a game of whack-a-mole you’re not expecting. Once a strange alley cat popped up out of there, and once, a squirrel.

But all that fun aside, this shit badly needed replacing. So we’re finally getting that done.

A view out the front door after all but the concrete block pillars had been taken down:

porch demolition in progress
No porch!

porch demolition in progress

Trenches for a foundation that the workers dug out by hand:

porch demolition in progress

We are getting a proper concrete porch, with a cinderblock foundation, and bullnose forms on the edges of the porch and steps so that it’ll have the same feel as the other concrete porches on similar houses in our neighbourhood, which all appear to have been put in around the 1940s. And we’re having the new steps put in directly in front of the door, where steps ought to be. AND there will be a new sidewalk leading up to those steps, which will eliminate a whole lot of that awful huge patch of periwinkle I’m sorry I ever let grow so out of hand there. We’ve let the garden go the last few years in anticipation of doing this construction job, so it’s a relief to have it all destroyed and get a chance to start again.

Stay tuned!

Posted by Jodi Green on September 14, 2014 at 4.57pm

great lakes tourist

Oh hi. I have been away for a while. Here is a picture taken in June (or May? I forget) in Toronto as part of my Great Lakes Tourist project. Lake Ontario, Toronto Island, Tim Hortons breakfast on a park bench, Great Lakes tattoo, cold wind, sunshine.

lake ontario

Posted by Jodi Green on September 12, 2014 at 1.05pm


tea lady

I want to make this tea cosy from a 1940s pattern book. Yes, the one with the little lady sticking out of it. Obviously.

Posted by Jodi Green on July 21, 2014 at 2.23pm



Asiatic dayflower. A pretty little weed that grows all along the sidewalk in the narrow space between our house and the neighbours’.

Posted by Jodi Green on July 18, 2014 at 11.09am

three kinds of sauerkraut

sauerkraut (3 kinds)

On the left, a fairly small batch of half collard greens, half cabbage, with a bit of dried dill weed.

In the middle, mustard sauerkraut (recipe from Issue 10 of Taproot Magazine)

On the right, straight up plain green cabbage.

Posted by Jodi Green on July 15, 2014 at 1.52pm



Virginia creeper, slowly covering over our basement window.

Posted by Jodi Green on July 2, 2014 at 12.23pm